We have come a long ways since I first asked Katie to “be my girlfriend” back in high school, and in recognition of our 10 years together I wanted to share the top 10 things I’ve learned about having a successful relationship.
1. Never go to sleep mad at each other
2. I don’t think relationships have to be 50/50. It’s all about finding that point of equilibrium through open communication.
|Katie's 21st Birthday|
3. Don’t fight when both intoxicated.
4. Occasional surprises are welcomed (this is a work in progress on my end)
5. Even though it’s assumed that a married couple loves each other, it is still important to remind one another how much you love each other.
|2005 right after Katie graduated from High School|
7. It’s important to be straightforward and honest with each other during serious conversations.
|See, being silly is our thing|
8. But you don’t always have to be serious! We have our best times together when we are being carefree and goofy.
|One Year of Marriage|
9. The in-laws may sometimes seem off their rocker, but they are (probably) an important part of your spouse’s life and should be treated as such.
10. As you can tell, most of these are associated with keeping the Mrs. as happy as possible. Happy wife equals happy life is so true. Not just for the sake of family dynamics, but also because there is nothing more fulfilling that seeing my wife’s beautiful smile and feeling her love.
|One of our first pictures together. Hard to believe that was back in 03|
Thanks dear for letting me spill my guts. I’ve been dying to guest post since you started this bad boy up ;)
Thanks Derek for guest posting. This is his first time so make sure you leave him some love! I hope you all have a great Valentine's!